Wednesday, May 4, 2016

I am ashamed of our town's Men Folk for even letting this be considered.


A Letter from Miss Harriet Tubman, Kansas, 1954:

No, I am not THAT Harriet Tubman. 

I fear for my little town. 

Mr. Hampton -- the Grocer who hired the first Mexican -- is talking now about us needing to widen Main Street so he can expand his Store.

Why a bigger store, Mr. Hampton? How many more Mexicans do you plan to hire, instead of the white town folk who could use a stable job?

And Main Street: isn't it just beautiful as it is? Do we really need to raze the Chink's Laundry to make more room? They work hard, despite God making them yellow and all.

None of the white folk in town are going to want to tear down our beloved Main Street. What are you going to do -- hire Negroes?

I am ashamed of our town's Men Folk for even letting this be considered. 

When I was a girl the Men were men: now, I wonder.

Sincerely,

Harriet.


I am Laslo.



https://althouse.blogspot.com/2016/05/its-100th-anniversary-of-birth-of-jane.html


No comments:

Post a Comment