Saturday, November 18, 2017

Anyway: zippers. I hate when they get derailed.

The Commenter Who Ignores the Post Topic says...

I was reading this post -- zippers, right? -- and while I was reading it I was listening to a playlist I made.

I really like the band Spacemen 3: droning hypnotic minimal rock with glorious feedback and woozy soul, often over a single chord. They also had one of the best album titles around: Taking Drugs To Make Music To Take Drugs To. 

They do a cover version of the song "Rollercoaster" that is sublime. Then there are multiple versions of it live: five minutes, seven minutes, twelve minutes, fucking seventeen minutes. Pretty much one chord chugging away. Sublime.

So I put all of their versions of Rollercoaster that I could find in one playlist. That one chord for five minutes, seven minutes, twelve minutes, fucking seventeen minutes.

Several of the best versions have a mix style that is upside-down, and it makes it magic. The drums are barely heard, except for a muffled cymbal or a kick drum once in a while. There is a bass player in there somewhere too, but he is pretty lost in the sound, too. And the rhythm guitar, chugging that chord, is louder than the nominal lead guitar.

I think I will make a playlist of versions of their cover "Transparent Radiation" but I'll probably just talk about that later.

Anyway: zippers. I hate when they get derailed.



I am Laslo.


No comments:

Post a Comment