Sunday, June 25, 2017

Anyway, Yoko has that piano, now: if it;s THAT important just let Yoko sing it…

From the John Lennon Diaries….

September 19, 2001

I’m still in shock about the attacks: the world IS this broken. This is MY NYC, and I still smell the ashes…

They keep trying to get me to participate in a Memorial Charity Concert. I think I’m too old: it’s just pop music. It doesn’t change the world anymore. It never really did…

Of course, they all want me there to sing “Imagine.” Sorry, loves, but I don’t quite believe that way anymore. I meant well, but I’m not immune to the cries of hypocrisy that have been thrown my way. Anyway, Yoko has that piano, now: if it;s THAT important just let Yoko sing it…

I LIKE my life. I’ve been lucky, and I’ve worked my fooking ass off. I live behind doormen and assistants and bodyguards. I know there are people who will try to kill you for no real reason at all. Now people knock down buildings: ‘Imagine’ was dream from a dreamer. Guess what folks? I woke up years ago…

Everyone still wants Peace-and-Love-Lennon. I should say, all the older folks want that. The young don’t care what I say, and why should they? Let someone young carry the burden now…

Meanwhile, my City has been attacked. MY City. Excuse me if I’m not expecting ‘A brotherhood of man sharing all the world; anytime soon...

I never thought I’d say it, but I think we need a little less “Imagine” and a bit more of Paul’s song right now…

“When you were young and your heart
Was an open book
You used to say live and let live
(You know you did)
(You know you did)
(You know you did)
But if this ever changin' world
In which we live in
Makes you give in and cry
Say live and let die
Live and let die”

I am Laslo.


No comments:

Post a Comment