Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Conversation with My Imaginary Rape Advisor.



Conversation with My Imaginary Rape Advisor:

"So, you believe you have been a victim of rape?"

"I'm not sure..."

"Not being sure if rape has occurred is a strong indicator that a rape has occurred..."

"Then I think I was raped."

"Good, now we have something to work with. We'll start gently: was penetration involved?"

"Penetration? Isn't that what -- you know -- makes it rape?"

"That is the Patriarchal  elision of rape, yes. But there are all kinds of rape. For instance: was this penetration-rape or kiss-rape?"

"Well, we kissed, but I was okay with that."

"Don't get ahead of yourself -- we still have to determine some things, here."

"But there was penetration, I think. I don't know, I was really kind of drunk..."

"The victim being drunk does not excuse the rapist. It is not uncommon for a victim to be so drunk that they question whether the rape actually happened: indeed,  over one-in-three women have been raped if you count all the rapes that women don't even remember occurring."

"My goodness..."

"Some say that number may even be closer to one-in-one if you count the ones who insist a rape didn't happen..."

"It's like I never even had a chance, isn't it?"

"None of us females do in this Patriarchal World."

"What did the penetration involve, as best you can remember..."

"Well, there were fingers..."

"Fingers are a form of rape, too: keep going..."

"And a tongue..."

"Oh, those are the WORST: forcing you to think of intimacy during your rape. The Evil that Men harbor can be truly overwhelming. So: do you remember the name of the man -- or men, we are not ruling anything out -- that raped you?"

"Uh, her name is Marta."

"His name is Marta. Interesting name for a rapist: don't think I've had a 'Marta' before. Are you sure it wasn't 'Martin'? There are a lot of 'Martins' on this campus -- in fact, I think I know of a Martin that fits this description...."

"It is a 'her'."

"I'm afraid I don't understand..."

"Marta is a 'her'. I know her from my Gender Studies class. She is a lesbian, and I've been curious..."

"Well, there is obviously a misunderstanding here: I though we were talking about rape."

"We are, I think. I mean, I agreed to kiss Marta, but only that, then I got drunk and I think I remember her fingering me, then I passed out and woke up with a cucumber in my ass."

"My sweet child: that is not 'rape', that is 'education.' In fact, I think if you talk to your Gender Studies Professor you may be able to get Extra Credit for the experience..."

"But I didn't consent to having a cucumber put up my ass, I am sure of it."

"Now: how can we not be sure that what really happened was that Marta and you engaged in a consensual kiss, after which you passed out drunk and Martin came into your room and raped you?"

"I don't know any Martins..."

"So you did not know your rapist. See, that is a category I can put you in."

"But what about Marta?"

"I'd be careful, there: how do you know that she doesn't think that YOU raped HER?"

"Oh God, this is getting so confusing..."

"Traumatic events can be very confusing, I understand. Now, did Martin bring his own cucumber, or was it already in your room?"

"Uh, I guess you can say Marta left it there..."

"So Martin found the cucumber already there. Yes, that definitely fits Martin's profile."

"Does Martin do this a lot?"

"According to my latest stats this 'Marti'n has raped one-in-five girls on this campus."

"That is awful!"

"That is why we take the pains to get this right. Now, tell me what you know about Martin."

"I seem to remember he wore a very flowery perfume.."

"That would be 'cologne'.

"Cologne, yes. I'm still confused..."

"Don't worry, we'll get the facts straight. Also: there has been a reporter enquiring about this 'Martin' -- would it be OK if I gave her your name to talk to?"

"I don't know..."

"You must be strong: we must stop Martin -- and all of the world's Martins -- whenever we can..."

"Okay, I'll talk to her. Can you help me with what to say? I think you remember my rape better than I do..."

"I am an Imaginary Rape Advisor: that is my job..."


I am Laslo.




http://althouse.blogspot.com/2014/12/how-could-author-and-publisher-of-self.html

2 comments: