Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Beneath my Negro skin I am the same Mandingo Jones you've come to love."

"You know, ‘older mother or wife sits down and thinks about her horrible life’.”..."

What if the older wife is reflecting on how much better her life would have been if she had been strong enough to face Oppression and had married that black guy she longed for back in her youth?

Of course, you would have to add depth and nuance to it: it just can't be about her missing the Black Cock.

I am Laslo.

------


Excerpt from the 2016 Man Booker Prize Winner "The Negro of Madison County."

There is snow, silent, cold unlistening, unknowable snow just outside the window of her Conneticut home. Sipping Chamomile Tea, Sarah's mind slips wistful into the past, to that One Hot Summer in 1957 in Madison County...

"I'm sorry, but I don't think I can do this anymore."

"Miss Sarah, No! Is its cause I'm a Negro?"

"Our lives just lead two different ways. I'm going to an All-Girls College back East in the Fall, and --"

"--And I lives in a tin shack behind the junkyard. I get it."

"I wish it didn't have to be this way..."

"But Miss Sarah, it doesn't! Beneath my Negro skin I am the same Mandingo Jones you've come to love."

"But I may marry a doctor, or a lawyer. That could be my future."

"I could be a Doctor, too, Sarah, if only the Whites Man would let me."

"Oh Mandingo, this world is so unfair."

"I is the only Negro in Madison County: I know how unfairs it can be. But you -- you can makes a choice. You can be Strong."

"I can never be as Strong as you, Mandingo."

"So this is it, Miss Sarah? This ises Good-Bye?"

"I'm afraid so."

"Could we makes love, just one more time, in my tin shack? Could that be Good-Bye?"

"Yes, my Love, my Mandingo. We will make love, one last time, in your tin shack, by the bucket of chicken bones."

"Can I do's you in the ass, Miss Sarah?"

"How about we just make love like two white people..."

"I can do that for you, Miss Sarah: I can do that..."


I am Laslo.


http://althouse.blogspot.com/2015/12/the-2015-man-booker-prize-winner-marlon.html

No comments:

Post a Comment