Wednesday, December 2, 2015

"This is our Time to be Free, Sarah! The Freedom of Youth! Haven't you ever done anything others wouldn't approve of?"


Another excerpt from 2016 Man Booker Prize Winner "The Negro of Madison County."

Sarah Lowenstein watches the snow begin to fall again, snow not unlike the snow that covered the grounds of her first semester at that All-Girl's College in Connecticut... 

"Can you believe this, Sarah? Our first year in college, away from our parents and our very own Dorm Room! Isn't this exciting?"

"It certainly is new for me, Misty. I came from a small town that had Long Hot Summers."

"You have to keep this a secret, but I got to tell someone. Can you keep a secret Sarah?"

"Yes, I can."

"Well: I've only been here for six days and I've already kissed a girl!"

"You kissed a girl?"

"I did! And you know what?"

"What?"

"She tried to touch me, you know -- there."

"She tried to touch you where?"

"My vagina."

"Things are certainly different here than they were in my small town."

"This is our Time to be Free, Sarah! The Freedom of Youth! Haven't you ever done anything others wouldn't approve of?"

"I... I'm afraid I have."

"Ohhhhh! Don't be all secretive. Tell!"

"I had relations with a Negro this last Summer."

"Relations with a Negro? You mean like he Raped you?"

"No, it wasn't Rape, it was... Beautiful."

"You had relations with a Negro, and you did it willingly? It wasn't even a teensy bit of Rape?"

"No; we were in Love. Maybe I still am."

"That IS scandalous.Was he big and muscular from picking cotton?"

"He didn't pick cotton -- he worked at the Junkyard."

"Oh, I bet he was still big and muscular!  God made Negroes big and muscular so that they could work hard for the White Man."

"He WAS big and muscular."

"I knew it! And what about his -- you know?"

"His what?"

His Member, silly. I hear they are as large as a horse down there. Did it... fit?

"It fit. Wonderfully, it fit."

"And you're sure there wasn't a little bit of Rape?"

"There wasn't any Rape."

"You ARE a Wild One..."


I am Laslo.


http://althouse.blogspot.com/2015/12/at-new-snow-cafe.html

No comments:

Post a Comment