Wednesday, December 2, 2015

But I know that wasn't true and that Mandy David is a whore, anyways.


Another excerpt from the 2016 Man Booker Prize Winner "The Negro of Madison County."

Sarah Lowenstein pulls from a box of memories -- a box her Jewish Husband has never seen -- and reads again the letter from her sister Lynnette: the years fade back, like the very ink on the yellowed page... 

My Dearest Sister Sarah,

I hope this missive finds you well up in your school with the Yankee Girls. Mother says they might up and try and turn you into a Tongue Girl, but I know that isn't true, not my Sister.

I met that Negro that changed your flat tire last summer -- he sure seems nice for a Negro. I remember you saying he knew where to put it in your trunk, and he is good with tires.

Anyway, the Townsfolk were all getting ready to lynch him in the Town Square -- they said he had relations with a white woman, but I know that wasn't true and that Mandy David is a whore, anyways.

So I ran home and got Grandma's Grandma's Bible, and I went back to the Square and stood beside Mandagero -- they had the rope around his neck but couldn't figure out the proper length yet -- so I read Bible Verses right beside him until the Menfolk got ashamed and went home.

He sure was appreciative, and wanted me to walk him home to the Junkyard, but I didn't know what kind of Negroes would be hiding in the bushes so he went home alone.

Daddy was mad for a few days, but I think that's just because I had read some Bible Verses he didn't quite remember. Daddy gets peculiar about Jesus, but please don't tell him I said anything.

I hope you are well, and the Yankee Tongue Girls are letting yo be.

Love,
Your sister,
Lynette.

P.S. That Mandagero Boy sure is muscular.

I am Laslo.


http://althouse.blogspot.com/2015/12/at-new-snow-cafe.html

No comments:

Post a Comment