Tuesday, December 15, 2015

"What would happen if a Negro and a Chinese Person had a baby together?"


Sarah's mind slips wistful into the past, to that One Hot Summer in 1957 in Madison County...

"Miss Sarah, I was thinking..."

"Yes, my dear Mandingo?"

"What would happen if a Negro and a Chinese Person had a baby together?"

"That would be God-awful, Mandingo."

"I think that's a little harsh, Miss Sarah..."

"The baby of a Chink and a Negro would be a Retard for sure. I'm not even sure if the baby would develop hands: it might just be a handless Chink Negro Retard."

"If you say so..."

"Wait. Do you have your eye on some girl Chink?"

"Well, that Chinese Girl at the Laundry is kind of pretty..."

"Do I even have to say it, my Mandingo? Even the Chink is above the Negro's station in Life."

"I guess there's that..."

"Besides, how can you be attracted to a yellow-skinned slant-eyed girl when you have me, with my beautiful white skin and my beautiful eyes?"

"Sometimes I just think another woman might -- you know -- respects me a bit more."

"Oh, my silly Mandingo: I respect you as much as any Negro can expect to be respected. At times I almost even forget that you're a Negro."

"Really, Miss Sarah?"

"Yes, but that's mainly when it's real dark..."


I am Laslo.



No comments:

Post a Comment