Tuesday, December 15, 2015

"No one would notice if we we were to be missing one or two."


Sarah's mind slips wistful into the past, to that One Hot Summer in 1957 in Madison County...

"Miss Sarah, I was thinking..."

"Yes, my dear Mandingo?"

"You're white, and I'm a Negro. If we was to have a baby together would that baby be white or Negro?"

"Silly Mandingo, the baby would be a Negro, of course. It takes two white people to make a white baby."

"I thought as much."

"Miss Sarah?"

"Yes, Mandingo?"

"What would happen if we was to have a baby? Would we get married?"

"Oh, Mandingo. I am from a respectable family, there is no way I could even consider marrying a Negro. Or a Chink or a Retard, for that matter. You understand."

"I guess I do. But what would happen to the baby?"

"Well, I would have to hide the pregnancy, and then after I gave birth I would have to drown the baby in the Creek that runs behind the Johnson's Farm."

"Oh no! What if I was to raise the baby by myself?"

"My Mandingo, you know the Life of the baby depends on the Mother's choice. You don't have a say in the matter."

"That just doesn't seem fair."

"There are already plenty of Negroes around, my sweet Mandingo: no one would notice if we we were to be missing one or two."

"I don't know. Maybe one day in the Future the world would be a better place, and no one would be killing no Negro babies."

"It's God's Will, Mandingo. If -- in the future -- they were able to kill Negro babies by the thousands and thousands it would be only to make the World a Better Place."

"I can't even picture that, Miss Sarah."

"I can, my sweet Mandingo. I can..."


I am Laslo.


http://althouse.blogspot.com/2015/12/youre-chinese-but-im-not-he-told-me.html

No comments:

Post a Comment