Monday, July 13, 2015

"I thought white people were raised better than that."


The Boomer talk reminds me of a fascinating book I am reading:

"Whitestock: An Oral History of the Endemic Racism at the 1969 Music Festival."

Some excerpts:

Lionel Freeman: "There weren't a lot of us black folk there. Seemed it was pretty much a white thing: I mean, Sha-Na-Na? Really, white people?"

Howard Myers: " I remember seeing a few black people there. It was all  love, man."

George Johnson: "Yeah, all these white people going on about loving your fellow man and they thought us brothers were only there to empty the toilets. Those toilets were sick, man: I thought white people were raised better than that."

Jeffrey Dowd: " I told one black man that I would never call him "nigger." He didn't know what to say."

Emery Allen: "One white boy told me he was down with The Struggle. Then he did some fucked-up white dancing to Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, real weak-ass hippie shit. I saw him again later and he thought I was some other black dude he met. I get it, whitey: we all look the same to you. Fucker."

Henry Wall: I met a black man there, we really talked about some real shit. I haven't seen him since then, but I still consider him a close friend, you know?"

Randolph Jones: "Some white dude had the nerve to ask me if I loved being around all these white women. Dude: your chicks stink of mud and fish. And no, I am not here to fucking clean the toilets."

John Randall: "All I did was apologize to this black guy we met about not having any watermelon, and he looked like he was going to tear me apart. I mean, hey brother: we're all fighting The Man."


I am Laslo.




No comments:

Post a Comment