Wednesday, January 11, 2017

But some Americans, they are fearful of a Black Man’s Jam.

Obama’s Farewell Speech (First Draft Excerpts)

America, I felt your love. But we know love is not enough: with Love there must be Hope. And I truly Hoped your Hope, as the American People, would help me to raise you to new heights…

America: you and I, we went together like chocolate and peanut butter, right? Everyone loves peanut butter and chocolate. But, after eight years, you seem to have grown tired of the chocolate: you have chosen to go with just peanut butter. Chunky oily orange peanut butter, You know that’s going to stick to the roof of your mouth, America? You’ve seen a dog eating peanut butter, right? America, that is not what I would have chosen for you, but I know much of what I have done for you will take many of you years to truly understand…

But I saw myself as more than just the chocolate with your peanut butter: I also saw myself as the Jam. But some Americans, they are fearful of a Black Man’s Jam. As Beyonce once so eloquently said, “I Don’t Think You’re Ready For This Jelly, and perhaps you weren’t…

One of my few regrets during these past eight years is that eight years wasn’t enough time to properly heal our nation’s racial wounds. America may accept chocolate frosting, but beneath it you still desire white cake…

But there is more than Race to the American Story. There are others that have been marginalized, and a such I am proud of the help I have given to the Gay Community: THEY seemed to appreciate a Black Man’s Jam, and they WERE ready for this jelly…

I’m going to tell you a funny, self-effacing story here: this is just you and me talking, right America? I am writing this at four in the morning while watching Sports Center and I am stoned out of my mind. Sometimes a Brother has got to chill, especially after being all Presidential all day. And the White House staff, they can’t seem to bring the snacks fast enough, and I see that in you, America: the Change couldn’t come fast enough. It is almost like the Change needed four more years to arrive in full, and I regret being legally bound from giving you those years…

I will promise you this, America: I will always be around. I will be there to tell you what I believe about the events of the years and decades to come, and I hope you will benefit from this: I am NOT going away. And I may sometimes tell you what you don’t want to hear: not all chocolate is milk chocolate, sometimes the chocolate is dark and maybe even seems bitter to you…

So I will leave you with this, America, words from the great Jay-Z: ““I’m a mirror. If you’re cool with me, I’m cool with you, and the exchange starts. What you see is what you reflect. If you don’t like what you see, then you’ve done something. If I’m standoffish, that’s because you are…”

I am Laslo.


No comments:

Post a Comment