Sunday, April 24, 2016

If I had a slave I'd think I'd like it to be one of those light-skinned negroes best.


A Letter from Miss Harriet Tubman, Kansas, 1954:

No, I am not THAT Harriet Tubman. 

I wish I read more, but the house takes so much time, especially after my younger sister Margaret ran off with that man who sold ointments.

I understand that slavery was a bad thing I guess, but I could see how I might appreciate me having myself one, just to help get things done.

If I had a slave I'd think I'd like it to be one of those light-skinned negroes best. I think I would just be more comfortable with one who wasn't so obviously a negro -- where you maybe had to look at him a moment to decide for sure.

I'd have to build a shack for him out back, but I bet Mr. Anders down the way would do it for me in exchange for some fresh home-baked pies.

I'd make the pies, not the slave, of course: some people don't like negroes touching their food.

That we give me more time for books.


I am Laslo.


No comments:

Post a Comment