Sunday, April 24, 2016

Our library doesn't have much use for books about negroes.


A Letter from Miss Harriet Tubman, Kansas, 1954:

No, I am not THAT Harriet Tubman. But I finally read a book about her. The librarian looked at me kind of funny when I asked for it -- our library doesn't have much use for books about negroes.

I read almost all of it, and I have to say I don't quite get it. She could've saved herself a lot of trouble if she simply just waited patiently for slavery to end.

Then she'd be free without all the fuss and bother.

People get in such a hurry; sometimes it's better to just let things take their course. No need to have a Civil War about it. Especially when it's only about negroes.

Besides, I didn't think that negroes got in a particular hurry about anything. At least that's what I've heard. Lazy and shambling.

I think I'll stick to my white books. I like Jane Austen.


I am Laslo.


No comments:

Post a Comment