Saturday, April 30, 2016

Problems work themselves out that way sometimes.


A Letter from Miss Harriet Tubman, Kansas, 1954:

No, I am not THAT Harriet Tubman. 

The big news in town is that Mr. Hampton the Grocer hired himself a Mexican. Of course people are upset: there are plenty of white folks around here that could use a job, and I hear Mr. Hampton pays the Mexican even less than what one would pay a Negro.

Sometimes it makes me fear for the future of our Country. I worry that there will be more and more Mexicans, speaking Mexican and taking our jobs and leering at our women. But then I realize that surely our Government wouldn't let that happen: we already have a Negro problem, we don't need to import another.

Maybe the Mexican will realize he isn't wanted here and just go away. Problems work themselves out that way sometimes.


I am Laslo.



No comments:

Post a Comment