Thursday, November 23, 2017

When I was fifteen he was drunk and 'accidentally' touched my breasts.

The Girl at Starbucks That Hates You:

It's Thanksgiving, so of course I am working today. It isn't that big a deal, really: they are closing the store at 5:00pm so that the employees can be home for Thanksgiving evening. A lot of people are complaining, saying they should've just given us the whole day off, but -- come on -- it's still nice, and it could be worse, like working at Jack In The Box selling burgers at night to those people who have nothing else to do on Thanksgiving than to go through the Jack In The Box drive-thru for a burger and large-size fries...

I told my mother to not hold dinner for me: I'd hate it if everyone had to wait until I got there. I'm fine getting a plate when I get there, okay? Besides, if they waited they would just drink more before I got there, and sometimes that gets embarrassing. My Uncle Frank, he has a problem with the drinking. When I was fifteen he was drunk and 'accidentally' touched my breasts. I've forgiven him, but he still really never makes eye contact with me...

Anyway, I don't really want to sit at the table and hear my sister in her new expensive clothes go on about being thankful for her amazing job and her new fancy car. Because then she'll ask me why I'm still working at Starbucks. And the reason I'm working at Starbucks is because, after all my resumes went out, they were the only ones to hire me...

I'm already paying an enormous debt for the two years of college that I DID go to; she -- of course -- got a scholarship, so she didn't have to worry about such things. She IS scary smart -- sometimes she just doesn't know that most people aren't as smart as her, and it might come harder to them. And sometimes she just doesn't know that she's being an asshole...

My Dad has tried to help me with college, but he's been tight on money ever since he and Mom divorced. I miss the Thanksgivings when we were all together: I have some great memories of those. Dad would make things out of the mashed potatoes at the table. I think that is from some old movie, but I've never seen it...

I asked my Dad if he wanted me to come to his place for Thanksgiving: it'd be nice, having a quiet evening, but he says that would really disappoint my mother, so we'll just get together a little later. Which probably might not happen, because he works night shifts and I work weekends...

So, for Thanksgiving, I am thankful for the little things. Of course, I don't really have any 'big things', but I DO have a lot of little things. And work'll be fine: everybody will probably be in a happy mood. Although, people: do you buy the Pumpkin Spice shit because you like it, or just because it makes you think of Christmas...?



I am Laslo.

No comments:

Post a Comment