Wednesday, February 3, 2016

"But if you just say it you will be able to get out of this mess. Come on, Taylor, just once: say that you're gay."


A few moments with Mr. Jones,  Diversity Seminar Instructor.

"Taylor?"

"Oh God, no. Can you please pick someone else this time?"

"But I like talking to you, Taylor. See those two young women in the front row?"

"Yes..."

"What is the difference between them?"

"I -- Idon't know, I mean, I haven't talked to either of them."

"So you would need to know their character to make any assumptions, besides the fact that one woman is white and the other woman is black?"

"Character: yeah."

"You think you just might be out of the woods now, don't you, Taylor..."

"God I hope so..."

"So you are saying there is no difference between them based just on skin color?"

"Yeah, I think I am."

"So if the black woman said there was INDEED a difference between her and the other woman, based just on skin color, she'd be the one who is lying?"

"No --"

"She'd be the one who didn't understand what it means to have black skin?"

"You're killing me, Mr. Jones."

"You know how you can get out of this situation, don't you, Taylor?"

"How?"

"If you happened to be Gay you'd be a minority victim, too."

"But I'm not gay."

"We know that Taylor. But if you just say it you will be able to get out of this mess. Come on, Taylor, just once: say that you're gay."

"Okay, Okay! I'm gay!"

"And so Taylor, you think being Gay all of a sudden means you can't be a racist?"

"Lesson One! Lesson One!"

"Yes, Taylor? What do you mean by that?"

"You're going Lesson One all over me!"

"And what was Lesson One?"

" Lesson One: People will fuck you over, just for kicks!"

"VERY good, Taylor! VERY good! You are learning..."


I am Laslo.



No comments:

Post a Comment