Tuesday, August 30, 2016

"Local Woman of Color, Known for her Fingernails, Clips Them"


From 'The Community of Color Gazette':

"Local Woman of Color, Known for her Fingernails, Clips Them"

Jolanda Harris, a Black Woman in our Community of Color, was well known around the neighborhood for the length of her fingernails.

"I grew them to almost three inches," Ms. Harris says, with evident pride. "I'd paint them orange and black for Halloween, Red and Green for Christmas, things like that."

So what caused Ms. Harris to trim these nails that gave her such satisfaction?

"I just couldn't text no more. My nails just kept getting in the way."

Ms. Harris considers texting an important part of her life.

"It's how I keep up with friends and family. It's how I find out at the grocery store if we need more toilet paper. Having enough toilet paper is important. I ain't just going to use a tiny square, you feel me?"

Does Ms. Harris miss her long nails?

"Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.  I'm more about my hair weaves now, anyway."

Another story of Change, from 'The Community of Color Gazette'.



I am Laslo.


No comments:

Post a Comment