Wednesday, August 31, 2016

"There were cupcakes: I know, I had two. I drank some grape soda, too."


From 'The Community of Color Gazette':

"Local Woman of Color Throws Fundraiser at Home"

Latisha Wells, a Black Woman in our Community of Color, threw a fundraiser at her home Wednesday evening.

"Yes, yes I did," Ms. Wells said when asked about throwing the fundraiser. "I had cookies and cupcakes and orange and grape sodas."

How did Ms. Wells get word out for her fundraiser?

"Mostly at the laundromat, I guess. But pretty much everybody I knew, I told them. I told them there'd be free soda and baked goods."

Randall Moore, a neighbor of Ms. Wells, attended the fundraiser and confirmed Ms. Well's story.

"There were cupcakes: I know, I had two. I drank some grape soda, too."

Did Mr. Moore contribute to Ms. Wells' fundraiser?

"Well, I been kind of tight on money, but I managed to give what I could."

When asked how much that amount was, Mr. Moore turned serious.

"None of your f**king business," he replied.

Ms. Wells says that, although she did not raise as much as she hoped for, every bit counts.

"I didn't raise as much as I hoped for, but money's money. It was eighteen dollars I didn't have before, right?"

When asked where the funds were to go, Ms. Wells paused for a moment.

"To my electric bill, I guess. I can't afford to have them turn off my power again."

So there it is: a Story of Change in our Community of Color. For more stories like this please read 'The Community of Color Gazette'.


I am Laslo.



No comments:

Post a Comment