Friday, September 2, 2016

"I see them sometimes, but they don't speak English. Mostly I smell their food; it smells funky, I tell you that."


From 'The Community of Color Gazette':

"Woman of Color Says That Asians Have Moved In Next Door"

Delores Thompson, a Black Woman of our Community of Color, says an Asian family has moved in next door at her duplex.

"This Asian family, they moved in right next to me," Ms. Thompson said, when asked about her story.

"I'm not sure what kind of Asian they are. Chinese, maybe, I can't tell."

Asked if she has formally met her new neighbors, Ms. Thompson had this to say.

"I see them sometimes, but they don't speak English. Mostly I smell their food; it smells funky, I tell you that."

When asked to elaborate on this "funky" smell, Ms. Thompson said "I don't know. It's just… funky. It's probably fish heads, maybe. I just know that I wouldn't eat it."

Asked about what she would do now that she had new neighbors, Ms. Thompson replied "They're here now, not much I can do about it. Live and let live, I guess."

Then, after a moment of reflection, Ms. Thompson added: "At least they're not Mexicans."

When approached to comment on this story, the new neighbors were wary to speak.

"None of you f**king business," one man said, while others nodded in agreement.

So there it is: a Story of Change in our Community of Color. For more stories like this please read 'The Community of Color Gazette'.


I am Laslo.


No comments:

Post a Comment