Monday, November 14, 2016

Me, if I buy a sock, I only pay for it once, you get me...?


Brokedown Bobby Shakes says...

I don't see the big shiny deal, people: Brokedown Bobby here played hundreds of shows in the sixties, and a lot of them were even recorded, by Chicago and New York white folk who recorded your shit and then never paid ya, not even a Chinese dime. Shit, I must have six-dozen live versions of "Twelve-Year-Old Girl (I'm A-Gonna Make You A Woman Now)", jus' sitting in a shoe-box in my closet, by the jars of underwear from The Road and Brokedown Bobby's special urine collection...

I know what it's like to be yelled at while doing a show, though: up North, some peoples didn't be liking the songs about twelve-year-old girls, they said that's too young, Bobby. Well, maybe in the North it was, but anyone in the Ol' South'll woulda told ya that a twelve-year-old Southern Girl, she's just on the young side of 'Ready Right Here'...

I gets it, though: I do. White people like listening to white people, even if it's the same damn song, over and over again, and they'll pay for it, over and  over again. Me, if I buy a sock, I only pay for it once, you get me...?

So I live my life on the road, rockin' and rollin'. Who knows -- I might be comin' to your town, too, and if you come see me, do Bobby a favor:  bring your granddaughters...


I am Laslo.


No comments:

Post a Comment