Thursday, November 17, 2016

"No, that's not what I meant. I mean sex from the old days. Sex from the Sixties and Seventies. NYC, if you have it..."

Sketchy Guy Who Works at the Adult Bookstore says:

It's not like I haven't seen celebrities in the store, but this one was kinda special for me. He came in wearing sunglasses and a white hat with a feather in the band, and I recognized him instantly: Bob Dylan...

I have a special affection for The Man's music over the years: when I was in prison his song "I Shall Be Released" gave me strength and patience when I sorely needed it...

Just to be clear: "by using the word "sorely" I am NOT making an oblique reference to prison ass-rape. I know how some people think when a conversation turns to prison. You get out of prison, people want to know if you got forcibly fucked in the ass, that's how it goes, and no, I'm not telling you, I don't know you that well...

So Bob comes to the counter and asks where there are films of "old sex." I tell him to check out the "Grannies Fucking" aisle -- which is next to the "Trannies Fucking" aisle: we call that part of the store "Grannies and Trannies", and there IS overlap...

Anyway, Bob says, "No, that's not what I meant. I mean sex from the old days. Sex from the Sixties and Seventies. NYC, if you have it..."

"Gotcha," I say. "That would be in the "Retro" aisle. You looking for something in particular?"

"I'm lookin' for someONE in particular," he drawls, with a slight crease of a smile.

"We have a lot of the old stars. Annette Haven, Georgia Spelvin, Annie Sprinkle, Marilyn Chambers, of course..."

Bob shook his head slightly, then walked back to the aisle...

What can I say? My head was filled with snippets of Dylan songs and lines, and with these came questions -- questions I now had the opportunity to ask, but knew this what not the time and place, even if it would be the only time and place I would ever get to ask him...

Bob returned to the counter, empty-handed.

"Couldn't find who you were looking for?" I asked.

"I look for her everywhere, but I know I'll never find her. But I gotta keep lookin', you know?" 

I nodded, thinking I got it: maybe I did, maybe I didn't -- that seems to me to be how I 'get' Dylan in the first place...

Dylan gave a small wave as he left for the door, but before he left he turned, grinning, and added: "She once tied my shoes..."


I am Laslo


https://althouse.blogspot.com/2016/11/bob-dylan-wont-be-coming-to-stockholm.html

No comments:

Post a Comment