Sunday, November 13, 2016

Yes, Dave: break one more thing! America owes you!


(White couple, Ted and Alana, watching Election Protests with black friend, Dave)

Ted: Things are getting bad out there...

Alana: People are upset, Ted.

Ted: Oh, I understand. Burning cars, breaking windows -- you have to do SOMETHING to express your anger at all of this.

Alana: I feel their despair. Especially black people. Right, Dave? How can black people NOT be angry?

Dave: I don't know. Maybe people should just bring it down a bit.

Ted: Dave, have I ever told you how STRONG you are?

Alana: Yeah, Dave: STRONG. I mean, you must feel like breaking things too, right...?

Dave: You know, I do kinda feel like breaking this beer bottle on your table.

Alana: We understand, Dave: let it out!

Ted: Yeah, Dave: don't hold back!

Dave: Really? You sure about that?

(Ted and Alana nod)

Dave: Okay...

(Dave shatters bottle against table)

Alana: I bet that felt good, right Dave?

Dave: Sure.

Ted: I feel we are holding you back. Do what you feel you need to do, Dave -- it's okay.

Dave: So if I stomped this table to pieces you wouldn't be mad?

Alana: Of course not, Dave! We know what you're going through!

Dave: Okay, then...

(Dave gets up jumps on table, breaking it. Stomps the pieces, kicks the books that fell off, throw a leg across the room.)

Alana: It is so good to see you be able to express your feelings, Dave!

Ted: Yeah -- I really liked it when you threw the table leg -- I could feel your pain...

Dave: You know, I think I'm going to break this vase, too...

(Dave walks to shelf, picks up glass vase)

Alana: Oh -- uh...

Ted: That was a gift from Alana's grandmother...

Alana:..she gave that to me, right before she died.

Dave: Sure, sure, I'll just set this back...

Alana: No, Dave, no: it's OK. My grandmother probably would've voted for Trump, anyway...

Dave: Okay then...

(Dave throws vase to ground, shattering it).

Ted: I bet that felt good, right Dave?

Dave: It feels like something, that's for sure...

Alana: We're here for you, Dave: we're her for you...

Dave: You know, it's getting late. I got an early day at work tomorrow -- I think I'll get going...

Alana: We understand, Dave.

Ted: You sure you don't want to break one more thing?

Alana: Yes, Dave: break one more thing! America owes you!

Dave: Alright,if you insist...

(Dave pulls over shelf, all the items go falling and breaking)

Dave: See you guys tomorrow?

Alana: Sure thing, Dave!

(Dave walks to door, puts "Make America Great Again" hat on, looks at wreckage of apartment, shakes head, leaves)

Alana: I think we really helped him work through some of his emotions...

Ted: That's what friends do, Alana: that's what friends do...

(Ted and Alana sit in the wreckage of their living room; TV voice-over of announcer describing protests as "mostly peaceful")


I am Laslo.


No comments:

Post a Comment