Saturday, October 22, 2016

But when Brokedown Bobby writes it they say it's just another one of his songs about twelve-year-old girls.


Brokedown Bobby Shakes says...

Man, sometimes I don't get old Bob Dylan. If I won an award I'd sure as hell be there to take it, as long as they paid the airfare and put me up in a good motel...

Maybe I ain't as artful as Bob, but my songs have as much Truth as his does, and that's gotta be worth something: like maybe they have a runner-up prize for ol' Bobby Shakes...?

If I had to play them Award People just one of my songs I reckon I would play them this one: "I Wish You Could Be Twelve Forever."

There's twelve eggs in a basket
There's a dozen donuts in a box
Then there are the twelve-year-old girls
all cute in their little pink socks
(Bobby loves them little pink socks)

There's twelve inches to a foot
There's twelve months in a year
Then there are the twelve-year-old girls
drinkin' their very first beer
(Thanks to Brokedown Bobby)

I wish you could be twelve forever
I'd never let you go
Why do you have to turn thirteen?
Why does that cruel wind blow?
(listen to that cruel wind blow)

I wish you could be twelve forever
And our sky was always clear
Why do you have to turn thirteen?
Do you not see all my tears?
(Lord? It's me, Bobby: help me understand)

Then the Gospel Choir comes in, it's beautiful, that.

So see? If Bob Dylan said he wrote that everyone would say it's genius and heartbreakin' and all that shit. But when Brokedown Bobby writes it they say it's just another one of his songs about twelve-year-old girls. And it seems there sure ain't no award for THAT...

So I live my life on the road, rockin' and rollin'. Who knows -- I might be comin' to your town, too, and if you come see me, do Bobby a favor:  bring your granddaughters...


I am Laslo.


https://althouse.blogspot.com/2016/10/bob-dylans-failure-to-acknowledge-his_22.html

No comments:

Post a Comment